There can be a certain vulnerability in walking.
Here is some of what you should know:
It may be a good idea to text someone
your general destinations or itinerary and when you expect to return. Maybe take some
pictures of the new areas you’re seeing and provide updates.
Overall, be cautious.
- Stay in the light. Try not to walk at night. If you must, avoid dark and narrow streets.
- Avoid wearing flashy jewelry.
- Keep clear of civil disturbances and demonstrations.
- Avoid raising your voice and arguing with others.
- Keep personal matters to yourself. Much can be learned from them.
- Carry a phrase book or download similar apps.
- Practice using a pay phone before you need one. Carry the local currency change you need to at least call someone in an emergency.
- Don’t call attention to yourself.